Moving to a new home is a unique experience, whether you’re simply moving to a new location in the same city or relocating to an entirely new state. It can fill you with excitement, but also stress you out at the same time. You’ll have to think not just about the actual process of getting your things out of your old house and into the new one, but also about such things as storage.
Temporary storage may be necessary for a number of reasons. For example, you could be moving into a smaller place and you still don’t know how to dispose of your belongings that would no longer fit into the new house. Or perhaps you just haven’t had enough time to figure out how you’re going to arrange everything in your new home and you want to take stock of the space you have before you bring everything in.
Whatever your reason may be for wanting to store some of your belongings when you relocate, you need to plan your move carefully to make sure everything goes without a hitch. Let’s say you’re moving to Melbourne. Before your actual relocation date, you need to take the following things into consideration:
- Find out what the safest way to transport your things to your new location is.
- Find out what the most economical way to make the move is.
- Make an inventory of all the items you plan to move, the ones you plan to leave behind, and the ones you plan to sell. Among the items you’ll be moving, separate those you’ll immediately bring into your new home from the ones you’ll be putting into storage.
- Ensure your belongings are insured. You can never tell when accidents will happen, so it’s best for you to make sure you’ll get some form of compensation in case some of your things get damaged or lost in transit or in storage. In most cases, the cost of insurance is considerably less than the cost of replacing damaged or lost items.
- Consult others prior to moving. You may have family and friends who’ve relocated in the past. Ask them about what went smoothly and what didn’t, so you’ll have a better idea on how to prepare for the relocation. You may even want to hire professionals to assist you with the move. They could also provide you with the necessary storage services.
If you decide to relocate on your own, or if the mover you chose doesn’t offer storage in Melbourne, then you’ll have to find a credible storage facility by yourself. Here are the most important things to look for in such a facility:
1. Unit Size
If you followed the third tip above and made an inventory of your belongings, then you should already have a good idea of how much storage space you’ll need. However, you never know if you’ll suddenly need more or less space when you get to your new location. It’s best to find a facility that offers storage units in different sizes and allows you to easily change your reservation to suit your storage space needs.
You’ll probably have little need to gain access to the things you’ve put into storage, but whenever you do, you’ll want to be able to get to your things as quickly as possible. This is why it’s best to choose a facility that’s as near as possible to your home or office.
You’re paying good money for storage, so you’ll naturally want to be assured that your things are safe where you leave them. It may be a good idea to choose a facility that allows you to use your own lock so you can be sure you’re the only one with access to the key or lock code. It’s also advisable to choose a facility with video surveillance systems in place. Additionally, you should make sure the facility you choose is far from your area’s flood-prone zones.
4. Climate Control
Make sure the storage unit you choose isn’t too humid and that it doesn’t gather dust too quickly. Look for even the slightest signs of mould, moisture, or mildew in the unit, as these can easily damage your belongings. If you can rent storage space equipped with climate control, then do so. Otherwise, it’s best to place dehumidifiers in the unit and get it cleaned regularly.
If you truly have no inkling as to which storage facility in Melbourne suits your needs best, it’s advisable for you to check out what other people are saying. If there’s more praise than complaint for a particular facility, then it may be a good idea to personally check it out.
Moving to a new location and storing some of your belongings for safekeeping doesn’t have to cause you too much stress. The tips above should help you make the move smoothly.