If you’ve ever had to move to a new house before, then you know just how much of a hassle it can be. The complications and hassles are compounded if you have to move to another state. This is why it’s always advisable to plan relocation well in advance. Proper planning may not guarantee that everything will go without a hitch, but it will at least minimize the chances of anything going awry.
Okay, let’s say you’re moving to Melbourne. How exactly do you prepare for moving to your new house? Here are some very useful tips:
- Check your new house carefully and map out the best access points so the unloading process will go smoothly when you arrive. It’s also advisable to inform your new neighbors on both sides as to when you’ll be arriving so they’re properly warned of a large truck parking out front and a considerable amount of noise for a few hours on that day.
- If your new house has an attic or cellar where you wish to store some of your things, make sure there’s easy access to it and ample lighting to prevent accidents.
- If you’re packing your belongings yourself, be sure to give yourself at least a week to do so. It’s best to get all the packing done well before the movers arrive to minimize the stress involved. Label all the boxes you’re taking with you. Make sure the labels tell you (and the movers) what’s inside and in which room the box should go.
- Be sure to notify family and friends of your new address and cancel services and utilities such as electricity, gas, Internet, and cable.
- If you have children, it’s best to let a family member take care of them on the day you’re moving so you won’t have to worry about them while also worrying about the move itself.
Now, how do you choose the right interstate removals Melbourne company? The following tips could be the best place to start:
- Check out as many companies as possible. Get quotes from as many interstate removal companies as you can handle without feeling overwhelmed by the task. What’s important is that you get quotes well in advance so you can be sure the choice isn’t rushed. When checking quotes, you should check not just the prices, but also the specific services included in the package. Some companies offer to pack your belongings for you and some don’t.
- Ask questions. Don’t hesitate to ask prospective removal companies as many questions as you can think of. It pays to understand every single detail of the service package they offer so you won’t run into any unpleasant surprises such as hidden charges along the way.
- Show prospective removal companies a plan of your new home as well as a layout of the house you’re moving out from. This gives them a good idea as to how long the move will take. It will also inform them if there are stairs that need to be negotiated or if there’s an alternative route for getting your things out of the old house and into the new one. Consequently, this knowledge will allow the company to give you a more realistic and competitive quote, which will ultimately make it easier for you to make your choice.
- Make sure your things are properly insured for the move. Many removal companies can also give you insurance quotes, so be sure to ask about it. Insurance is particularly important if you have such valuable items as pianos and antiques. Be sure to choose a removal company that can provide proper insurance for these things or at least assist you in taking out the appropriate policy.
- Negotiate. You are the one who’s paying for removal services. You are the one who’s working on a budget. Therefore, you should never hesitate to negotiate the price quoted by a company that you feel can provide for your specific needs. A good way to get a company to lower their price is to show them what their competitors are offering and then telling them if they’ll agree to a lower price, then you’d prefer working with them. In many cases, removal companies are willing to lower their prices if you’re willing to move the relocation date to a certain day of the week, so you may want to prepare yourself for that eventuality.
The above tips may not cover everything there is to consider when moving, but they will definitely make the process a lot easier for you. One should always feel the excitement of moving into a new home more than the stress of the actual relocation process. So heed the tips above and enjoy your new home!