Storage facilities are common commodities that people today willingly pay for. There are many reasons why there is a huge demand for secure and well-equipped storage facilities. Here are some of the common scenarios that merit the rental of a storage facility in Melbourne:
- The living, office, or commercial space of the owner is not big or wide enough to accommodate all of his possessions, equipment, or merchandise.
- There are many merchants and business entities whose products are seasonal. They need to store inventory that are no longer needed for the current time of the year. Stores don’t just dispose of their unsold inventory because they still present the merchandise during promos, clearance sales, and the like. They can also be displayed on the shelves the following year, as long as the merchandise are still in good condition and are not yet too outdated (by fashion standards, for instance) by then.
- There are people who relocate to a new house that’s smaller or has a limited storage system. They need to store some of their furniture at a safe place so that they may retrieve their possessions anytime they move somewhere bigger or did a renovation.
- Still speaking of people who relocate, sometimes they need to leave their old place earlier than expected, so they move out of their old house days before they can officially move into the new place. They therefore need storage space where they can stow everything they own while waiting for their new house to be officially open for them to move in.
These reasons are just a few examples of when people need storage spaces.
Now, why are we talking about the reasons for getting storage spaces when we should be discussing the steps on how to do it in the first place? Here are the steps:
Step 1: Identify Your Purpose.
This is the first thing you need to do. You need to identify the purpose of your rental by answering the following questions:
- What are the things you’re going to put into storage?
- How long do you need the space?
- Do you need to have access to your possessions anytime you want to?
- Are you going to frequently take out the things you want to store?
- Are you going to return them?
- Are you going to keep adding more things in your storage space?
The answers to these questions will allow you to do the next step.
Step 2: Look For the Most Appropriate Type of Storage Space.
There are different types of storage space offered by storage companies. There are laws to be followed for storage of certain materials (ex: tailings storage is specially designed for storage of mining tailings or discharge; firearms and ammunition can only be stored in licensed facilities). Some perishables will need cold storage. Knowing the purpose and type of materials you’re going to store will dictate which type of storage facility in Melbourne you’re going to have to look for.
The type that removalists normally offer is self storage. This is good for dry goods, household items, office materials and the like. Furniture, clothing, packed goods and other similar items can be stored here.
Step 3: Inquire about Their Restrictions and Rules.
You know what things you need to put in storage, so it is also up to you to find out whether or not any of them are restricted inside the space offered by a storage company or removals company. Each service will have its own rules you’ll need to follow. For instance, your preferred removals company might not allow opened cans of paint or containers of gasoline inside their facility. If you happen to have them, either you dispose of those restricted items or find somewhere else to stow them in.
There is also a third option: look for a different storage company that will consent to you keeping certain items in your rented space. This is if you are storing inventory, and disposing of the items is not an option.
Step 4: Inquire about the Price.
You definitely need to know if you can afford the rent for the space or not. If you already have a preferred storage facility in Melbourne, see if they have storage spaces that you can afford. Usually these companies offer spaces of different sizes and with different features, and each of them has a different price range. Look for the space that’s big enough for your storage needs and whose rent you can afford. Match their rental terms with your needs too. If you only need storage for two weeks, then don’t choose a company wherein the minimum rental period is measured in months.
These four steps are basically what you need to do when choosing a storage facility. The important thing is to ask your preferred company any question that comes to your mind. Be aware of their rules, their guidelines for security, and the pricing details before making a final decision.