Moving to a new house can be an exciting experience, especially if you’re also moving to a new state. The experience, however, can also be quite stressful, as it typically requires a lot from you in terms of time, energy, and money. The good news is that there are ways for you to considerably lessen the stress involved.
One of those ways is to hire the services of professional furniture removals in Melbourne. These professionals have the necessary skills and experience to help you ensure your belongings don’t get damaged in the process of relocation. You may think you’re saving money by relocating on your own, but this option does pose some very real risks; you might inadvertently damage some of your possessions in the process. This might even cause you to shell out more than the costs of hiring a professional removal company.
Of course, even as you decide to let professionals handle part of the relocation process, you still need to be in control of the relocation in general. This is why you need to know how to go about the process the right way.
Here are some tips on how you can properly prepare for the act of relocating:
- Check out your new location. There may be moving restrictions, fees, and fixed schedules for loading/unloading that you’re not aware of. Be sure to take all these into account before you relocate. Being aware of these details will help you set your schedule with the movers and avoid too much hassle.
- If you’re moving into a condominium or apartment building, be sure to coordinate with whoever’s in charge. Find out what time of day is the best time to move in and arrange such details as parking for the removal truck and space at the lobby for your belongings before they’re brought up to your unit.
- Check the climate. This detail is often overlooked, which shouldn’t be the case, as it can completely ruin your move. Check the temperatures and weather patterns, particularly on the day you’re planning to move to make sure your trip will go smoothly.
- Consider insurance. Remember that the farther away you’re relocating to, the greater the chance that some of your belongings may get damaged or lost. You may want to check out some transit insurance options. It would also be a great idea for you to hire a removal company that covers any items that get damaged in transit.
- Consider storage. Even if you’ve already seen the new house or apartment/condo unit you’re moving into, perhaps you still have no concrete idea how to fit all of your belongings in there. It may be a good idea to hire a removal company that also offers short-term storage services. This way, you can properly plan where to place which piece of furniture when you’re already at your new home.
Aside from the above tips, here are a few precautions you’d do well to take when you relocate:
- Always keep important belongings like jewelry with you. It’s best to keep all your valuables in one box and then label the box accordingly, so you won’t mistakenly let the movers load it onto the moving truck.
- Assign specific values to each of your belongings and then make a list of everything. Ask the removal company’s representative to sign the list and then give them a copy. This makes it easier for them to compensate you for any damage or loss.
- Make sure all agreements you have with the removal company are in writing and signed by both parties. Even if you’ve used the company’s services before and you already trust them, it still pays to have everything on paper. This protects you from any misunderstanding as regards payment or compensation in case of untoward incidents during the move.
- Sort your stuff carefully and decide which items you’ll be taking with you, which ones you’ll be selling or giving away, which ones you’ll just leave in your old house, and which ones you’ll throw away. Getting everything in order before your actual relocation schedule expedites the whole process.
- If you’re putting some of your belongings into storage, be sure to check the storage location, form of storage, and safety/security of the facility. You’ll want to make sure everything’s still intact when you’re ready to move them into your new home.
It’s natural to be both excited and apprehensive when you’re relocating. After all, there are plenty of things to be done and taken into consideration. It’s a good thing there are professionals in Melbourne who can relieve you of the stress of moving furniture and let you enjoy the excitement more.